Rick Stanley represents clients throughout Louisiana and the surrounding region in complex commercial litigation and in the representation of lawyers and law firms in connection with issues of ethics and professional liability.
Mr. Stanley handles cases in both state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels. His clients include two of Louisiana’s largest electric utilities (Entergy and Cleco), as well as numerous out-of-state clients with litigation in Louisiana. He has been recognized as Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America in multiple categories, including Bet-The-Company Litigation (2019), Real Estate Litigation (2020), Legal Malpractice Law – Defense (2014, 2016, 2018) and Antitrust (2012, 2015). As an appellate lawyer, Mr. Stanley serves as Chair of the LSBA Appellate Section and as Chair of the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization’s Appellate Practice Advisory Commission.
Mr. Stanley graduated from Louisiana State University summa cum laude and received the University Medal for academic achievement. He graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he received the Oberman Award for legal writing. After graduation, he served as law clerk to the late Honorable Albert Tate, Jr. on the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Since 1985, Mr. Stanley has taught on a part-time basis on the adjunct faculty of Tulane Law School. As an adjunct Professor of Law, his courses have included Criminal Process and Practice, Trial Advocacy, Legal Ethics, and Professional Responsibility. He currently teaches an upper-class seminar on Professional Responsibility.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
Professor of Law, Adjunct Faculty, Tulane Law School (1985 – present)
Special Master, In Re: Pool Products Antitrust Litigation, MDL 2328 (E.D. La.)
Chairman, Magistrate Merit Selection Panel, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana (2018)
Chairman, LSBA Rules of Professional Conduct Committee (2004 – present)
Chairman, LSBA Committee on Codes of Lawyer and Judicial Conduct (2002 – 2004)
Member, Louisiana Appellate Practice Advisory Commission (2017 – present)
Member, LSBA Ethics 2000 Committee
Member, Louisiana Supreme Court Class Action Committee
Member, Louisiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules Regarding Financial Assistance to Clients
Member, Louisiana Supreme Court Committee on Advertising Rules
Chairman, Board of Directors, Metairie Bank & Trust Co.
Session, Metairie Ridge Presbyterian Church
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Age Restrictions in Housing; The Denial of the Family’s Right to Its Integrity, 19 HARV.C.R. – C.L. REV. 61 (1984).
Albert Tate, Jr.; Judge, Jurist and the Barber in Ville Platt, 47 LA. L. REV. 1011 (1987).
Antitrust Law: Fifth Circuit Symposium, 35 LOYOLA L. REV. 687 (1989).
Antitrust Law: Fifth Circuit Symposium, 36 LOYOLA L. REV. 665 (1990).
Constitutional Law: Fifth Circuit Symposium, 37 LOYOLA L. REV. 631 (1991).
Constitutional Law: Fifth Circuit Symposium, 42 LOYOLA L. REV. 491 (1996).
A Professional Model of Ethics, 47 LOYOLA L. REV. 773 (2001).
Representative Appellate Matters
- In re: Deepwater Horizon, No. 18-30243, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Pardee v. Connick, No. 2018-CA-718, Louisiana Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal
- Weyerhaeuser Company v. US Fish and Wildlife Service, No. 17-71, Supreme Court of the United States (Brief only in U.S. Supreme Court)
- Argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, sub no. Markle Interest LLC, et al. v. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, et al., 14-31008 c/w 14-31021
- Montgomery v. St. Tammany Parish Government by and through St. Tammany Parish Council, No. 2017-C-1811, Louisiana Supreme Court
- In re: Deepwater Horizon, No. 16-30717, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Edwards v. Continental Casualty Co., No. 15-30827, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Plaia v. Stewart Enterprises, Inc., No. 2014-0159, Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal
- Cal Dive International, Inc., et al. v. Andrew Schmidt, et al., No. 15-30300, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Woodfox v. Cain, No. 15-30506, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Law Office of Paul C. Miniclier, PLC v. Louisiana State Bar Association, No. 2014-C-1162, Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal
- In re: Deepwater Horizon, No. 14-31299, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Woodfox v. Cain, No. 13-30266, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- 13-30315 & 13-30329, In re: Deepwater Horizon, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Glaxo Smith Kline, LLC v. Caldwell, No. 12-CA-1790, Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal
Representative Trial Court Matters
- The City of New Orleans v. Apache Louisiana Minerals, LLC, et al., No. 19-cv-8290, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States of America, et al. v. William LaCorte & Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al., No. 6-cv-11724, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Payton v. Entergy Corp., No. 2012-8368, Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans
- Kevin Govan Work v. Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, No. 2015-8321, Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans
- Casey Billieson, et al. v. City of New Orleans, Housing Authority of New Orleans, et al., No. 1994-19231, Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans
- Delta Fence, Inc. v. Echelon Construction Services LLC, No. 2009-10498, 22nd Judicial District Court of Louisiana
- Kennair v. Entergy New Orleans, No. 2008-10079, Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans
- New Orleans Scottish Rite Foundation, Inc. v. University of New Orleans Foundation (Arbitration)
- Balmoral Cinema, Inc. v. Allied Artists Pictures Corp., United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Denkmann Associations v. IP Timberlands Operating Co., LTD., 354-869, 19th Judicial District Court